TIPS AND TECHNIQUES:
BEADS OF COURAGE ATLANTA
End of Treatment Bead for Bone Marrow Transplant
by Robert Simmons
Dark Red opaque
Intense Black stringer (COE 104 black cullet from C&R Loo can be used for this)
Topaz transparent (2 shades are good, one will do)
STRIPED TWISTIE STRINGER
1. Form a cylindrical gather of White, approx ½ inch in diameter and about 1 inch long.
2. Paint a few stripes on Intense Black lengthwise on the white cylinder. I usually put 2 lines close together (about 1/8 inch apart) at 2 places on the cylinder and then add one single, slightly wider stripe.
3. Fill in between the stripes with Topaz clear and put a thin encasement over the entire cylinder.
4. Form clear end caps on both ends of the gather, making sure to bond to the Topaz all around the end, and attach puntis on each end. Use puntis of equal diameter for an even twist. Heat evenly, begin to twist in opposite directions and pull (still twisting) to about 1/8 inch diameter.
BONE MARROW BEAD
1. Form a smallish bead (about ½ inch diameter) with the red.
2. Wrap the twistie once around the red bead and melt in.